Monday, May 7, 2012

Which video card is the best and for the price?

512MB GDDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 240M [subtract $150.00]

1GB DDR3 ATI Radeon™ Mobility HD 5730 [subtract $100.00]

1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon™ Mobility HD 5850 Add $0.00

1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M [Included in Price]

1.5GB GDDR5 65W NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M [Add $150.00 or $4.00/month1]|||I'm going to assume you will be using this laptop for gaming purposes, otherwise there's no point in any of these video cards.



If you're familiar with desktop video cards, the GTX 460M will perform slightly worse than a desktop GTS 450. It is the top performer of that series, unsurprisingly. You get what you pay for.



Any laptop with those upper end video cards will have a relatively short battery life of < 90 minutes due to the very high drain those video cards impose on the battery. You want a cooling pad or tabletop between that laptop and your lap to avoid overheating.



I would opt for the HD 5730 as being both very capable of playing all games while not being a budget buster. You may be less price sensitive and more performance oriented than I.|||I would prefer the last item. The video card may not be appropriate for laptops.|||I would personally go with the ATI 5850. I've had good experiences with ATI cards, and they tend to give me the most bang for my buck.

No comments:

Post a Comment